Friday, November 16, 2007

THE WAR OF THE WORDS

When does a man become a Jedi? Or is it the other way around... Words that changed our beloved GFFA for better or for worse...

THE WAR OF THE WORDS or WORDS THAT CHANGED A GALAXY


"Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi" (Qui-Gon Jinn, TPM)

The true beginning of our tale, when the wheels of Fate were set in motion.

Qui-Gon: "Promise me you will train the boy!"
Obi-Wan: "Yes, Master..."


Poor Obi-Wan, how could he refuse his dying master's last wish? Barely trained himself, he was too young and inexperienced to be training anyone, much less The (supposed) Chosen One.

How many times he must have regretted making that promise. But he has become a true Jedi, and cannot go back on his word.

"I love you." (Padme Amidala, AOTC)
"I'll do anything you ask." (Anakin Skywalker, ROTS)


Stupid, stupid kids...

"You must do what you feel is right, of course." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, ANH)


And Luke does, even with confusion and grief in his heart, he goes with Old Ben and takes control of his own destiny. He becomes a warrior, and a hero, realizing that he must have been meant for greater things than being a farmer.

Obi-Wan: "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Don't do it, Obi-Wan! (I say that every time, and every time he raises that saber and lets Vader kill him. OK, he saved the mission, but he might have been more useful to Luke and the Rebellion alive...He never listens to me...)

"No, I am your father." (Darth Vader, ESB)

Here's where out hero takes a fall, literally. Showing his first bit of true Jedi wisdom, he realizes that the unknown or even death is better than turning to the Dark Side.

This is why Obi-Wan told him, "If you choose to face Vader, you will do it alone. I cannot interfere."

My response would have been, "Why the heck not?" But it was a true test of Luke's character. He faced the easy way out, the temptation of power he could have had by taking his father's hand and going with him, and he resisted it. This is where this particular man becomes a Jedi.

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me." (Luke Skywalker, ROTJ)

He has faced down his worst nightmares, his deepest fears, and is ready to accept his fate, even if it's death, but he will not turn evil.

He could easily have said, "OK, Palpy, kill the old man and I'll help you run the Empire!" But no, that is not the Jedi way. And this where this particular Jedi becomes a man.

The true battle for control of the Galaxy Far,Far Away was fought with words. Words that changed the galaxy, words that turned boys into men, and men into Jedi and Jedi into Men.

That is the way of things, the way of the Force.

No comments: