Sunday, October 14, 2007

ATTACK OF THE CLONE PALMS


Who knew we needed more shopping centers? I sure didn't, but two have sprung into existence over the summer... well, they weren't built entirely this summer, but stores started opening up in them over the summer when I don't go out much.

I hate shopping. But circumstances in the past week have led me to both of the new shopping centers. The first outing on Wednesday wasn't too bad, I just went to Target for my oldest Padawan's birthday presents. Found the Legos, wrapping paper and a shipping box all in one stop. I was semi-happy.

Today I had to go to other one to buy fabric. A nice, shiny new Joann store where all the fabric is in one section and not spread out all over like the next closest one... it was overwhelming, but I found fabric for Grampy's new and improved Yoda costume, so I was semi-happy.

The two new centers are not far from each other, Tempe Marketplace and Mesa Riverview. They are both near Loop 202 and the Salt River, although there's not much view of it since there's no water in it...

Tempe sports a new Cine Capri Theater. It’s been open since June, but I didn’t know it. They even had a party to celebrate the opening and showed
Star Wars. I could have gone in costume if I’d known.

For the uninformed, the Cine Capri was a theater at 24th St. and Camelback Rd. that opened in 1966, and housed the largest screen in Arizona. It was very popular, and the original
Star Wars played there for over a year.

In 1997, the landowners refused to renew the land lease because they wanted to build an office tower, so the theater was closed, amid much protest. The last movie shown there was Titanic. In 2003, a new Cine Capri style auditorium was opened inside a multiplex. Since then, there have been several built around the Southwest, including Texas, OKC and Colorado. It's the kind of theater you want to see a
Star Wars movie in.

Mesa's new center had a Bass Pro Shop AND an Outdoor World. Grampy says if they'd just add a Hooter's it'd be a Guy Mall...

What really struck me as odd was the landscaping. Palm Trees and Palo Verdes. Neither provides much shade, so what's the point? Scrawny little Palo Verdes scattered around the parking lots and rows of identically sized palm trees lining the sidewalks.

They're all 20 feet tall, and I swear they all have the same number of fronds on them. They are clones! And date palms are not native to this valley, so I wondered where they all came from. Is there some secret palm cloning facility hidden somewhere in the desert? Perhaps in the recesses of the Superstition Mountains, or on Sacred Indian Ground... Palm trees forced to grow to soaring heights before being uprooted, their fronds tied together and planted in concrete with strings of white lights wrapped around their trunks.

It's all an evil plot. Take over the valley with palm trees. The next thing you know they'll be on every street corner.

We must be cautious... first it's the shopping centers, then the galaxy...