Thursday, October 11, 2007

Everyone's Having One, So Why Not???


Lately it seems that everyone is blogging about their "Blogiversay" or the "Annibloggery" or whatever one chooses to call the Anniversary of the First Blog, or their Fiftieth Blog or their Hundredth Blog...

Well, I've decided to blog about a different anniversary. A wedding anniversary. I just had one, or rather Grampy-Wan and I just had one. I know we're a little on the unusual side that this is the first marriage for both of us, and we got married too young, when we had too little money, and we're still married. Thirty-Three years. Yes, I said 33.

What did we do to celebrate? Nothing! We stayed home and watched TV. Why? Because it's what we do, and we're happy with it. Plus, we were broke...LOL

Do I remember all of the other 32 anniversaries? No, of course not. I remember the first, we had wedding cake (my mom had kept in her freezer for a year). The second anniversary I was pregnant and could barely fit into the dress I wore to go to dinner. The third year we were going to go out and see Star Wars, and even had a free babysitter lined up... and I got the stomach flu. Used the babysitter, but didn't go anywhere.

On out 10th Anniversary we went out for dinner and celebrated out first home purchase. On the 13th I bought him a Mickey Mouse watch (we'd just been to Disneyland to ride Star Tours), and he gave me a copy of "The Art of Return of the Jedi." It was the 10th Birthday for Star Wars, which I thought was unbelievable...

On out 16th we went out to dinner, in spite of me having hand surgery the day before. I was still groggy from the sedatives, couldn't use my right hand, and cried in the restaurant because I couldn't get my grilled shrimp off the skewer. I think that was one of those "in sickness and in health" times.

On our 20th we celebrated our move to Arizona, and my boss paid for the dinner. Such a deal. Two years later we spent the evening at a ballgame having hot dogs and beer.

The 24th was spent at my father's funeral, so I'd just as soon forget that one, but on the 25th we had probably the biggest deal, since my boss, a different one, was so impressed that anyone could stay married that long that he gave me the day off and we had our portrait taken together for the first time. We'd just been to San Francisco the week before to attend the last weekend Giants' games at Candlestick Park (a place we'd spent many happy hours over the years), so we sorta had two celebrations.

The 28th or 29th we both forgot. I don't remember which... LOL

On our thirtieth everyone said "Wow."

So here we are at 33 years. What's changed? Well, here's me on our wedding day, flowers and ribbons in my hair, and a lot thinner. Sorry I don't have a picture of Grampy on that day, but our photo album is packed away and so is my scanner. But I can tell you he had short, dark brown hair and wore geeky black frame glasses. I thought he was cute.

So, what does all this have to do with Star Wars? Well, it's endured for thirty years, with high points and low points. Its fandom has True Love (sorry, wrong movie). It has prequels (I dated a guy who didn't like SciFi or baseball {shudder}).

Our life together even has an EU... a son and daughter-in-law, grandchildren, vacations, moves, jobs both good and bad, cars both good and bad... we've been to the NW, NE, SW, and SE corners of the continental United States. In 2000 we slept together in a foreign country... In 2002 we went to 29 states and Canada... that year was a "for richer or for poorer" year.

Sequels? I don't think so, not yet anyway. Ask me again in 10 years. But I do know that we'll always have Star Wars, for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health.. . Sorry this blog is so long, but 33 years is a long time..