Monday, February 18, 2008

NO SIGNS OF IMPERIAL ACTIVITY, WE ARE CLEAR FOR HYPERSPACE!


Mos Eisley may have been a wretched hive of scum and villainy, but I bet it at least had holo-net towers...

There's something intriguing about blogging from the car. It's not that I have anything in particular to say, it just seems so damn cool, so high-tech, that I have to do it.

I'm on my way from Arizona to California, which could be a short trip or a long trip, depending upon where you start and where you finish. In this case it's a long trip, about 900 miles... Right now I'm actually writing this offline, because on this particular stretch of US-95 there hasn't been a cell tower in sight for... many parsecs.

I would have posted while I was crossing the state line, in this case the Colorado River, but I was eating a double cheeseburger at the time and I have limits to my multitasking abilities while riding in a car...

There's a whole lot of nothing going on out here in the Mojave Desert, just tumbleweeds and motor homes... Quartzsite, AZ must be the RV capital of the galaxy... I expect to see Lone Starr and Barfolomew on the road at any time now... I'm sure he'd blast the pipe truck and the two RV's that are in front of us, slowing down traffic...

It's nice to be in a rented landspeeder... only 245 parsecs on the odometer... but what good does it do to have 8-cylinders of hyperdrive if you never get to use it? We've just come over a hill and can see Needles, California... from here it looks a bit like our first view of Mos Eisley in ANH.

But, just as that wretched hive of scum and villainy was the closest thing to civilization that Luke and Old Ben had, Needles undoubtedly has cell towers....

I just had a flash of memory of a vacation with my parents, I must have been about 10, going from California towards New Mexico, and we stopped at a Denny's in Needles for dinner... I remember it was hot, and the motel next to the restaurant had a pool that looked sooooooo inviting.... I'd heard of Needles before, since that's where Snoopy's brother Spike lives...in fact, we just passed Spike Road...but I thought it must have been named Needles because the temperature was so high it was like needles of heat stabbing you...

Aha! I can see the interstate through the haze...Interstate 40, talk about a wretched hive...have I ever mentioned that I've been on every mile of it? I've crossed the Continental Divide so many times I don't know which way to spit, but at least I won't on this trip... but at least I-40 has hyperspace lanes... and cell towers!

No comments: