Monday, February 04, 2008

What I Learned from a Small Town Con


Yes, I know Phoenix, Arizona is the eighth largest city in the US. Or it is higher than that? And we just hosted the Super Bowl. But as far as Sci-Fi goes, it's a second or third class city.

But going to a con here was educational. I learned that most Star Wars content is generated by Star Wars fans. If the Rebel Legion and the 501st hadn't been out there with their respective training camps for kids, there would have been very little Star Wars there.

I learned that fans of anime will wear ANYTHING, and either their parents are nuts, or they smuggled those costumes out of the house and put them on after they arrived. See-through underwear and a fur shawl are NOT attractive on a 14 year-old girl...

I learned that Zombies are cool...

I learned that Peter Mayhew was not happy with Chewbacca's fate in the EU, and in fact received an autographed copy of the offending book with the message, "sorry mate, someone had to do it!"

I also learned from Jeremy Bulloch that Boba Fett survived in side the Sarlaac Pitt by operating a fast food counter...

I did NOT learn the significance of "FREE HUGS" and I hope I never do....

I also did not learn the significance of knitted caps... but they were popular enough to keep a table busy most of the time.... And it wasn't cold out...

And why are Trekkie costumes so lame?

I learned that a Jedi should be prepared for anything, and that includes carrying an umbrella in the desert. Ever wonder what a Jedi carries in her belt pouches? Emergency supplies vital to the survival of the galaxy... safety pins, hair pins, makeup, breath mints, quarters for the coke machine...

I also learned that wearing tights under a skirted costume is a wise idea, unless one is young and has luscious thighs... also learned that putting on said tights is difficult when one hasn't worn pantyhose in seven years....

I also learned that a small con is more focused on buying and selling than it is on activities....so take lots of money...

Bring your own food and drinks...

And also, one day of attendance would probably be sufficient for Star Wars fans, if you study the schedule in advance... fortunately this con put out a schedule in advance, putting it up a few notches on the scale of organization....

The most important thing I learned? The sound of a lightsaber is recognizable ANYWHERE! Even a rainy parking lot...

2 comments:

JediKai said...

Nice observations. I particularly liked the comment about what does a Jedi carry in her pouch! I really appreciated the Jedi training camp film as now I understand how it's done!

Granny-Wan said...

The whole reason for the video was to record how it was done. "Master Hett" is a natural showman and had seen it done at Disneyland...