Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Dark Side of Padme' OR I Happen to Like Nice Men...

Whenever I watch AOTC I wonder what made Padme fall in love with Anakin. Yes, he was cute and flirtatious, and they had a fun together at their little lakeside hideaway, but he was so YOUNG...

Younger than she was, and in many ways he was still a child. He couldn't hold his temper, he was jealous, he pouted like a 4 year old, and yet she found him irresistible. So irresistible that she overcame her own good sense and admitted that she loved him.

After that tantrum in the garage on Tatooine she should have run away as fast as she could, but instead she fell in love... Go figure...

But then, I've never understood the attraction of the bad boy.... I happen to like nice men...

The other possibility is that Anakin awakened Padme's motherly instinct. All the same factors apply... he's young, cute and needs a lot of emotional support. She tried over and over to help him, as padmeskywalker77 pointed out earlier today, but to no avail.

When Anakin and Padme reunited after the Battle of Coruscant, Anakin declares, "I don't care if they know we're married!" Padme chides him for this, but moments later, after disclosing her pregnancy, she asks, "What are we going to do?"

In Matthew Stover's novel of ROTS, Padme thinks "her husband needs to be a Jedi" so even though she realizes they have a problem, she still tries to protect Anakin, like a mother would.

I really don't understand that sort of attraction either... I happen to like nice men who are grown up...

Please don't misunderstand me, I loved the character of Padme... until she gives up and dies on the delivery room table... that just doesn't fit into the character of the strong, self assured woman that Padme was in Episodes 1 & 2. In her databank entry, it says, "Padmé gasped for breath as life began to escape from her," and that despite medical treatment her life signs, "continued to dwindle" until she died. To me, that supports the idea that Anakin caused the very thing he tried to prevent, her death.

So, I still don't understand the attraction.... I guess it was just lust! {LOL}

No comments: