Saturday, July 29, 2006

Episode Seven: Teardrops on Kittens (5/22/2006)

A Hiss Lord meets The Force...

I'm sorry to report that one of our Jedi kittens, Vader, Dark Lord of the Hiss, met the Force Friday night after a run-in with a passing land speeder. The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly, and neither is a six-lane city street. He was only 11 months and 9 days old, and he is survived by his brothers Sith Lightning and Obi-Wan Katnobi.

Only a few days ago I had planned to write about how Vader and Obi-Wan had become like their namesakes. Vader was prowling around the house, announcing his presence, laying down wherever he wanted, and generally trying to rule the household. Obi-Wan usually spends his day in exile, hiding under my bed. Vader was also big and intimidating, and we never knew who his father was since he looked nothing like the momma cat or his littermates. Of course, we don't know who their father was either. Such is the way of cats.

And true to his namesake, he didn't vanish into the force upon his death either, his body had to be dragged out of the street by Grampa-Wan while I blocked traffic with the pickup...*sigh*

I just happened to go out front to dump some stuff into the recycle bin and saw him lying in the street... did I ever have a bad feeling about something then!! A bad feeling that I might recognize that dead cat... I got as close as I could and sure enough I saw the few white hairs he had on his tummy... but it was dark, and he was a black cat, so I was still hoping it wasn't him since I couldn't see his red collar...

Back into the hut for a flashlight and Grampa-Wan, and then retrieval of the body... as I parked the landspeeder back in the driveway I was STILL hoping it wasn't Vader... and his collar was missing, but sadly it was him...

We were mostly worried about getting him out of sight before our youngest Padawan came home... he was not happy to say the least, but at least he was spared the sight of the body...

Every now and then I hear "*sob* ... Vader... sniff" or "I miss Vader (sniff)" which is not something I ever thought I'd hear, at least not in the context of Star Wars! But in this case, it's touching... but with the advantage of youth, Padawan Jakester goes on about his life....And Padawan Tyler is busy enjoying his new life on Endor, so he will adjust...

And in the advantage of middle age I try not to get too attached to pets, even the sweet, loving ones, since they tend to come and go throughout life... I'm more concerned for the Padawans... and it's not like there's a shortage of cats around here...!!!!

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU ALWAYS, VADER!

No comments: